- 16-Nov-2016 to 22-Jan-2017 (EST)
- Concord, NH, USA
- Full Time
full benefits package
About the position:
NHPR is seeking a skilled journalist with a curious mind, collaborative mindset, and passion for enterprising journalism to join our news team as Managing Editor. Whether you've been working for years as a radio reporter and are eager to find your voice as an editor, are a seasoned print editor with an ear for editing for radio, or already have experience editing for broadcast we want to hear from you. The Managing Editor will work with the News Director and reporters to produce outstanding news coverage and special series, and to engage and broaden our audience both on-air and online. He or she will be responsible for assigning, scheduling, and editing daily news content and will serve as primary liaison to the Morning Edition and All Things Considered teams. The ideal candidate will be interested in helping to keep our newsroom a well-oiled machine, but will also be eager to take risks and help guide reporters into new projects. This is a full-time position reporting to the News Director.
New Hampshire Public Radio is an award-winning media company that delivers news, information, analysis, arts and entertainment programming to 177,000 weekly listeners across the state and region. We are located in Concord, New Hampshire.
- Work collaboratively with News Director to shape the editorial vision of NHPR's newsroom.
- Have primary responsibility for assigning, scheduling, and editing daily news content, including newscast spots and features, and serve as primary liaison to the Morning Edition and All Things Considered teams.
- Collaborate with News Director to work with reporters on developing stories from their beats, including breaking news, features, two-ways and analysis.
- Collaborate with News Director on managing news series and special projects, including elections coverage.
- Coordinate with digital team to build online stories and initiate new digital projects/products.
- Recruit, develop, and serve as primary contact for stringers.
- Assist with management and development of newsroom staff.
- Ensure that our journalism adheres to the highest ethical standards and practices.
- Act as face of newsroom to external audiences as needed.
- Participate in on-air fundraising as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 5 years of journalism experience required. Broadcast journalism experience desirable.
- Excellent news judgment.
- Ability to write quickly for broadcast.
- Editing experience strongly preferred.
- Comfort working in a digital newsroom.
- Ability to manage a team of reporters.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Technologically versatile with willingness to expand skills. Multimedia skills, including experience in producing or editing digital media as well as audio is desirable. Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel is required.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of relevant FCC rules and regulations.
- Excellent people skills.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
NHPR is an equal opportunity employer.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!